Help for Food Banks and Domestic Abuse Contacts

  1. Foodbanks near us can be found here.
    The largest in our part of Birmingham is the Sparkhill Foodbank which operates from 6 locations, including Balsall Heath Church Centre in Mary Street. This is the link to the page where you can donate money if you are not able to contribute food via a collection point. Volunteers are also needed.  Until now many volunteers have been people well past retirement age who now need to be especially careful to self-isolate.
    The latest information about the effect of the Government announcement on 23 March on the way food banks operate is given here.
  2. Eat, Make, Play are looking for people to help grow veggies on allotments, gardens and greenhouses which can then help supply those in need and NHS staff. Contact Sam
  3. Specialist support:
    Anawim based at 228 Mary Street, Balsall Heath “exists to support women and their children, especially women vulnerable to exploitation including prostitution. It seeks to provide wider positive choices to help them achieve their goals and reach their full potential as part of the wider community.” Further details are available here.
    They provide practical help including food parcels, sanitary products and clothes and also general advice, financial information and well-being advice. You can support them via donations through their website here or alternatively through Facebook here.
    Buy a refuge parcel for a woman or child escaping domestic abuse here.
  4. Domestic Abuse
    See the attached Domestic Abuse CORONA VIRUS leaflet. 
    Other contacts are:
    Womens Aid
    Ryland House 44-48 Bristol Street, Birmingham B5 7AA · 0808 800 0028.
    228 Mary Street, Balsall Heath, Birmingham B12 9RJ · 0121 440 5296.
    Regular drop-in Mon-Fri 10-2pm for help, advice, clothes, sanitary products, food and family items. They also have well-being packs that include financial advice, well-being advice and activities.
  5. Safeguarding Adults
    Telephone: 0121 303 1234.
  6. Safeguarding Children
    The Children’s Advice and Support Service (CASS) provides a single point of contact for professionals and members of the public who want to seek support or raise concerns about a child.
    Monday to Thursday: 8:45am to 5:15pm
    Friday: 8:45am to 4:15pm
    Telephone: 0121 303 1888
    Emergency out-of-hours:  Telephone: 0121 675 4806. Worried about a child?
    Contact: Multi Agency Safeguarding Hub 0121 303 1888 or 0121 675 4806 or NSPCC helpline (for adults worried about a child) 0808 800 5000.
    For more information, visit Birmingham Safeguarding Children Partnership or Birmingham Children’s Trust.
    You can report abuse directly to Birmingham Children’s Trust or NSPCC online or email: